13 May 2012

The Hunger Games (2012) Gary Ross


I wasn’t sure whether or not I wanted to see The Hunger Games. Before reading the book I was pretty keen, but once I had read, and loved, Suzanne Collins’ novel, I was definitely NOT going to see it and face the same disappointment that I have experienced with almost every conversion from page to screen. (And yes, this does include Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, and Twilight).

However, when I found myself at a loose end this afternoon, I decided that I’d take the chance and see whether it was worth it. The answer is definitely yes. The film manages to remain true to the book without any, or at least not many, deviations from the plot, and where there are deviations it’s mostly quite easy to understand why they would leave out certain moments from the book in order to better translate the story to screen. The problems that I do have with the film stem more from a lack of emphasis on certain aspects than from an interpretative difference. There could have been more of a spotlight on the relative poverty of the districts as compared to the depraved decadence of the Capitol. The role of District 13 in the uprisings that lead to the formation of the Hunger Games, which is pivotal if they intend to continue the franchise, was completely omitted. And, as another reviewer correctly pointed out, Katniss’ deprivations in the arena are glossed over and played down.

The cast gave me a few moments’ worry, but seeing especially Woody Harrelson and Josh Hutcherson in their roles relieved any doubts that I may have had. The casting highlight, for me, was Lenny Kravitz as Cinna. He plays the role with all the sensitivity that the literary version of his character portrays, and perfectly captures his unease and distaste for the proceedings in which he is expected to take part.

Overall, the story remains true to the book in most of the vital aspects, although the book does provide a deeper and more complete picture of the history of Panem and the motivations that drive Katniss in her actions. I will most certainly be adding this to my DVD collection, though, and am especially keen to see any special features, particularly deleted scenes.

Geek’s rating: Magrathean

No comments:

Post a Comment